Ukraine’s president urges residents to take up arms, as heavy fighting rages around the capital.
- Street fighting has broken out with Russian forces in the capital Kyiv, which was rocked with intense gunfire and explosions overnight.
- Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenkskyy has pledged to not surrender and continue fighting to defend his country.
- The Russian army said it has taken control of the Ukrainian city of Melitopol and targeted the country’s military infrastructure with air and sea-based cruise missiles.
- United States says it will sanction Russian President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.
- Meta, the parent company of social media giant Facebook, has barred Russian state media from running ads or monetising on its platform.
- UN says more than 50,000 Ukrainians have fled to other countries since the fighting started.
Here are the latest updates:
Ukraine embassy staff evacuating from Moscow, Latvia says
The staff of Ukraine’s embassy in Moscow is evacuating to Latvia, the Latvian foreign ministry told Reuters.
“It was their plea, we readily agreed. We are assisting them in the process and help with settling down,” Latvian foreign ministry spokesperson Janis Bekeris said.
He declined to say whether the embassy staff had already arrived in Latvia, citing security concerns.
Fighting continues but Kyiv ‘is under control’
Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to President Zelenskyy, said Ukrainian forces have been able to mount a strong defence against the Russians.
Russian forces are still trying to move a large number of troops and equipment into the city, and fighting continues to take place on the outskirts, he said.
“Both in the city itself and on the outskirts of Kyiv, the situation is under control,” Podolyak said, according to the country’s UNIAN news agency.
Tips for Managing Debt and Getting Ahead Financially
In the intricate dance of personal finance, debt can be a formidable partner — one that, if not managed well,...
How to Help Your Family Members with Finances when Living Abroad
If you’re living abroad, staying connected with your family is crucial. One important aspect of this connection is helping your...
Master the 30 Day Rule for Smarter Spending in 2024
Do you often find yourself making impulse purchases and regretting them later? Are you looking for a strategy to make...
Master Envelope Budgeting Easily: A Step-by-Step Guide
Are you tired of struggling to stick to your budget and keep your spending in check? Do you want to...
Master How to Spend to Save – Smart Finance Tips for 2024
Are you tired of constantly feeling like your money is slipping through your fingers? Do you want to learn how...
Slash Energy Bills with Our Cost-Cutting Tips for 2024
Are you tired of skyrocketing energy bills eating away at your hard-earned money? Wondering how you can reduce your energy...
Smart Lunch Packing Tips for Busy Lifestyles in 2024
Are you constantly on the go, juggling a hectic schedule in 2024? It’s time to discover the smart lunch packing...
Master How to Learn to Budget – Efficient Tips for 2024
Welcome to 2024, a year where financial planning and money management are crucial for achieving your personal financial success. Whether...
Ditch Plastic: How to Leave Credit Cards at Home in 2024
Are you tired of the burden of credit card debt? Do you wish you could break free from the cycle...
Smart Guide: How to Buy Generic Products and Save Money
Are generic products really worth buying? Do they offer the same quality as their name-brand counterparts? And most importantly, can...